Thursday, October 11, 2012

NaNoWriMo

Have you heard of this?

National Novel Writers Month.

November 1 - November 30.

I participate in the online competition: NaNoWriMo . If you finish a 50 000 word novel between the first and the thirtieth, you win! That sounds like a lot of words, but it's really only the length of some university major reports, and it breaks down to just over 1600 words a day- 6 pages. Have you ever been on a writing streak? Once you get into a story, sometimes dozens of pages fly quickly out of the pen. My personal goal is going to be 2 000 words a day - 8 pages.

It's a fantastic organization that is promoting creativity, dedication, group dynamics (join a home region and participate in a write in or celebration party!). It empowers you. Even if you don't finish it, or commit to a smaller goal personally. I've never finished it. Last year I wrote 17 000 words though, which I thought was pretty good, considering well.... everything that was going on in November, with harassment and my moms funeral and relationship issues. I've never felt I failed but I do always feel driven to commit to the next year. This will  be the year I finish writing. Will you buy my book if I finish it?


No comments:

Post a Comment